Pratt & Whitney has identified and solved the problem that caused some of its PW1000 GTF aircraft engines to suddenly shut down mid-flight: a malfunctioning seal. Some Airbus A320 aircraft were equipped with these engines and several warnings were issued by authorities in the US and Europe to prevent possible accidents while aircraft with these engines were grounded. The engine manufacturer will substitute the sealing in the engine’s high-pressure compressor with an older design.
In Mexico, several airlines are introducing new routes and increasing frequencies. Safran-Albany has opened an additional manufacturing plant in Queretaro to manufacture composite material components for the LEAP engine. Finally, FEMIA forecasts an 8-percent growth in the aerospace industry caused by uncertainty related with NAFTA and the federal elections of 2018. In sadder news, a Sikorsky UH-60M “Black Hawk” crashed in in Jamiltepec, Oaxaca, over a group of civilians in what constitutes the worst air tragedy involving the Mexican Air Force in terms of fatalities.
- Safran and Albany open a new plant in Queretaro where components for the LEAP engine are produced.
- The crash of a Sikorsky UH-60M Black Hawk in Oaxaca is the worst air tragedy that the Mexican Air Force has faced to date.
- Lufthansa will operate the Mexico City–Munich route with an Airbus A350-900.
- Viva Aerobus’ operations grew 21 percent in Monterrey.
- SCT modifies medical requirements for technical aeronautical personnel.
- FEMIA expects the Mexican aerospace industry to grow 8 percent during 2018.
- International passenger traffic in AICM has grown 14.5 percent during January 2018.
- Passenger traffic in ASA’s airport network increases 16.8 percent.
- Aeroméxico relaunches training center for students to study technical careers oriented to aeronautics.
- Viva Aerobus’ EBITDA is reduced 16 percent during 4Q17 due to rising jet fuel prices and maintenance costs.
- Bell Helicopter drops the “Helicopter” from its name and rebrands itself as Bell Air. The helicopter maker has adopted a dragonfly as the brand’s symbol.
- SpaceX successfully places Spain’s PAZ satellite in orbit.
- Stelia Aerospace presents 3D-printed fuselage panels.
- Bombardier keeps positive 2018 prospects for the business jet sector despite slide in business jet output during 2017.
- Uber considers launching an air taxi service within five to 10 years.
- Pratt & Whitney finds solution to its engine problems that caused several of its A320-family aircraft to become grounded.
- GAMA reports modest growth in fixed-wing deliveries during 2017 despite mixed sector performance.
Don’t forget to follow Mexico Aviation & Aerospace Review at @mxaerospace to stay tuned on the latest industry news!